Monday 3 February 2014

Research into Chosen City - Shanghai

Chosen City to base Clothing Brand around...

I chose Shanghai because it would be a big challenge for me as I usually stick to what I know and personally like but I wanted to choose something out of my comfort zone. I also really like the Shanghai/Chinese style and the culture as it has a lot of spirit and life. I wanted to look into the culture and look of Shanghai so that I could be very influenced by it in my brand identity.


Name & Niche for Clothing Brand...

I have decided to call my clothing brand 'Fortune Cookie' as it is a well-known tradition associated with China and therefore Shanghai and also it is a fun word that I don't think young people (my target audience) would mind having on their clothing. The niche for my clothing brand is to have mainstream clothing that has a modern twist to the traditional Chinese style. It is a USP (unique selling point) as there isn't really anything like this on the market. I think it will appeal to many people as many other cultures are making their way into the mainstream clothing market - for example the bohemian style from Morocco.

Shanghai/China Mood Board


This mood board shows the traditional style, fashion, architecture and culture of Shanghai, China. It will help me to incorporate Shanghai into my designs for the clothing, the branding and all the little extras. The buildings in Shanghai look quite ornate with the curved multi-layered rooves. The oriental style is detailed floral patterns and uses nature a lot as an influence and a muse - I would like to explore including this in my designs as well.


Chinese Style Typography Mood Board


This mood board shows some traditional, modern and alternative Chinese typography styles. I have gathered these images as I have an idea to design the logo in a style very traditional to the Shanghai/Chinese style so as to keep the use of culture the brand identity. I particularly like the 'J' as it is a letter in the style and form of a Chinese character as it means it can be easily understood by most of the population while keeping the style of Chinese design. The colour red features heavily across the Chinese design style as it symbolises good fortune and joy (it is particularly seen during the Chinese new year) so I think red would be my top choice for colour in my branding.



Chinese Graphic Design Style Mood Board


This mood board contains both the traditional and modern design styles of china. I really like all of the oriental flower patterns and the use of the chinese language (which is a work of art in itself) I think I will look to this mood board a lot as I would like to use traditional styles as inspiration but putting a more minimal, modern spin on it to appeal to a worldwide audience.



Colour Scheme

Here I have used an image that perfectly resembles the group of colours that are most commonly used for Chinese/Shanghai graphic design. So I have picked out some of the colours in this image to give me some guidance in my design.




Packaging, Accessories & Bags Idea Storm



No comments:

Post a Comment